Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: One Huge Question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Guest 's Avatar

    One Huge Question.

    OK 9-12th or 10th-12th number wise.

    Why is there no number on official number on varsity athletes? Yeah we talk numbers but how about yes varsity athletes, and what is considered varsity only?
    I guess this is a reflection on programs at individual schools.
    Your enrollment may of dropped but that don't mean your player per sport has.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member luvLPDsports's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2003
    Posts
    327
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: One Huge Question.

    i don't think anyone knows exactly what you're asking man. good topic, but what are you asking?
    [img]http://softball.hnrc.tufts.edu/league/teams/psychology/images/emanski_mcgriff.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: One Huge Question.

    division classification system for football

    i can promise appy and burton are D1 but both should probably be D negative 4 [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: One Huge Question.

    I THINK that that starting this year the numbers are for 9th - 12th grade in the past that has not been the case and I have no clue why the VHSL would rely for so long on a modlel that only counted a part of the schools number. But I have been pretty critical of the VHSL fear of change mentality I am all for minamizing change but if I am driving a car and I notice the car is overheating I dont wait until I have a cracked head before I try to get it fixed

  5. #5
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: One Huge Question.

    Some senior highs in Ohio were 10-12, I always assumed that was the case in the splits here, at least as far as some of the larger schools were concerned.

  6. #6
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: One Huge Question.

    We use numbers for everything. But there is no numbers reported for actual athletes playing in any sport. It's based on total enrollment? That is very misleading. Think about it. Some huge school that haven't had success in sports don't have the numbers out that schools half their size do.
    So everything is based on total enrollment. Now honestly if that is the case, what about the total number of kids playing sports.
    Just because you have 550 in a school don't mean your gonna field a huge squad.
    I was just wondering other than age requirements and grades, eligibilty wise, why is there no reporting of total athletes playing a sport per year.
    We talk a lot about declining enrollment. Well it's affected everyone. But most have not had a drop off, on the number of athletes, they have coming out, just was curious about why there is no reporting yearly on the numbers, playing sports, to me if you was looking at your school hurting, it would show up number wise there first.
    Unless you have had a few down years and the interest is down.
    But you look at the numbers. PV has declined student wise, GC even has. Yet the numbers coming out for sports are about the same.
    I guess biggest thing i am getting at is if it's all about enrollment, then were missing something.
    Cause PV, GC and others still dress out the same numbers. But all that anyone considers is total enrollment? Not the numbers coming out. To me that is the area that needs to be looked at. Tells a lot about your program and the interest in it. And if your program is beginning to rise or drop.
    But you never see a regular number posted on any VHSL web site of athletes per sport. To me that would be an indicator of a programs strenght or lack there of. If you still decline enrollment wise but still have 50 out yearly for football, well how bad are you hurting.
    May be losing some money pupil wise, but it says a lot about your program.
    I guess with all the talk of school size, we still are missing a few things. I think it would be interesting to see how many programs have lost their numbers per sport squad wise.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_OleTob's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    681
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: One Huge Question.

    I agree it's all about the numbers but in all honesty a school that has 200 total kids could dress out 45 to 50 kids and a school that has 600 total kids might only dress out 35 to 40...It has alot to do with the history of the school and the desire and want to of the young men and women playing the sports.
    Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself.

    I belong to God Now.

  8. #8
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: One Huge Question.

    No way, if you have 500 kids say half are boys.
    Thats 250 to choose from.

    If You have 200 kids and half are boys.
    You have 100 to choose from.

    What a smaller schools "dresses" and puts on the field are most likely what the larger school would turn away. You may have 10 good ball players out of that hundred. You would most likely have 20 out of the 250.

    Your best players wouldnt have to play both ways if your talking football, your 6 man may be the 10th man on a larger school. You can have designated pitching staffs with larger numbers. Numbers play a much larger role then most understand.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: One Huge Question.

    Graham is on example of what you are saying. Last year their enrollment was 400 and something wasnt it? Their football team almost stretched from endzone to endzone! Almost every boy at that school must dress for football! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •